How To Detect And Remedy Bad Breath
No matter how good-looking, polished, successful and sweet-smelling an individual is, bad breath can spoil all the other efforts made with grooming and appearance. Neither is it very pleasant for a dentist. You should therefore take it upon yourself to detect and remedy any bad breath you might have.
How to Determine if You Have Bad Breath
Two ways of telling if your breath smells bad are:
- Wait forty seconds after licking the back of your hand and smell it. It is that sweet smell or lack of it that others smell when talking to you. At times, people may face away from you during conversation. Frequently, this is because that person knows their breath is bad or they know yours is.
- Drag a spoon along your tongue and collect bacteria in the scoop. Take a look at it and smell it, disgusting as that may sound. But that is what others smell when conversing with you.
Getting Rid of Bad Breath For Good
The good news is that most people can overcome the problem once and for all with a healthy mouth program. The following are simple home remedies for bad breath:
- Using spices. Some of the spices found in your kitchen such as fennel, cloves and anise seeds can be used to enhance your breath. For great results, take these spices after eating odoriferous meals to avoid getting bad breath.
- Brushing your tongue. Your tongue harbors plaque and different types of bacteria when you eat. This can lead to bad breath. To get rid of this plaque and bacteria, use a tongue cleaner to clean your tongue every time you brush your teeth.
- Avoiding certain beverages. Some beverages like whiskey, wine and beer can result in bad breath. This is because they leave behind a residue that combines with plaque in your mouth causing bad breath. It is therefore wise to stay away from any beverages that cause you to have bad breath.
- Baking soda. Although not many know this, baking soda can be used to give you fresh breath. This compound works by altering the pH level in your mouth, and in so doing, restricts the growth of bacteria. The best way to use baking soda for fresh breath is by sprinkling some of it in your hand, dipping a damp toothbrush into it and then brushing.
Undoubtedly, you would want your breath to be sweet rather than foul. By using these tips, you will be able to determine whether you have bad breath and what you can do to get rid of it. You can also consult a dental professional like Ferris Lane Dental for other effective tips on dealing with bad breath.